Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Donkeys @ The Someday Lounge, 9/25/08

I saw The Donkeys last night at the Someday Lounge, in one of the better shows I have seen.

I really wasn't sure how they'd be live, since their music has always been walking the quieter, dreamier side of what I normally like. I was completely blown away. Despite the low attendance (no one's seemed to have heard of them, really, which is a shame) they put a lot into the show. Everything I already liked about them was there, except for the expected harder-to-hear vocals you get at any live show. I was surprised that they traded off lead vocals between the drummer and keyboardist; the slide guitar on 'Come On, Virginia' was awesome as expected.

The best part of the short set was the second half of two of three of their songs when they whipped from the dreamy buildup into just fucking rocking out-- that's all I can say, I wish I could describe it to you-- a type of tangible transition in attitude and sound that's both consistent and wildly unexpected that just makes you smile and mouth 'wow!' at your friend, before you turn back to the lights.

The Donkeys-- Gone, Gone, Gone
The Donkeys-- Come On, Virginia
The Donkeys-- Walk Thru a Cloud

No comments:

 
Join my blog network
on Facebook