Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Looking back...

One of these is not like the other, so I'll post it first.
This only qualifies as 'looking back' because I cannot believe I haven't posted it yet.
Perhaps I have and I just can't find it because I'm oblivious.
Who knows?

In any case, with no further ado:
Wild Sweet Orange-- Ten Dead Dogs


Now that we're past that, the actual meat of the post concerns old songs and new songs that pull on those sounds.

The first is a cover:
Man Man-- I'd Rather Go Blind (Etta James cover)

The second is a logical progression, because the artist actually is blind.
'Blind' Snooks Eaglin-- Wella Wella Baby-la

This is from 1971. Watch where you're walking, kids.
Ann Peebles-- Slipped, Tripped, and Fell in Love

Sam Amidon, who has been putting stuff out as Samamidon, is a favorite of a year or so.
The one I've chosen for this post has a little more arrangement than a lot of his other sparser stuff, due to the song's celebratory theme. Celebratory as it gets for a guy that could be singing the sad bits of a hypothetical soundtrack to 'Oregon Trail.'
Samamidon-- Wedding Dress

And if he ask you, good buddy, was I running/ tell him I was flyin'... tell him I was flyin'. I love this.
The Notting Hillbillies-- Railboard Worksong

Here's a cover of that most prolific songwriter, Kris Kristofferson.
Song's hard to listen to some days, but I do it.
Richard Buckner-- Loving Her was Easier


And last on the list of throwbacks, this one's just for fun.

No comments:

 
Join my blog network
on Facebook