Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Sound of '07

So I've decided to put all my music posts on this journal, if only cause I like the layout better.

So here goes nothing. I also just realized that the title is a pretty good blogging pun, though I was just trying to take a line from one of my all-time favorite songs, Angel from Montgomery


First, the obligatory New Years' track, but by a band I like more and more every time I hear them-- the most recent listen being the pleasure of a whole run-through of their album Let's Get Out of This Country at work last week.
Camera Obscura, 'Happy New Year'


Loch Lomond is from Portland and a discovery of the past week. It's hard for me to tell if I like their potential or their sound more, but what's sure is I enjoy the time I spend listening to their music.
This song isn't instantly appealing to me; it seems like the first minute is spent deciding if his voice falls under love or hate, but right around the line 'I am not an animal!' i put this song on repeat.
Loch Lomond, 'Tick'


So next these may be really fucking obvious choices, but I'm a little miffed that no one told me about these next two bands until these past two weeks. Come on, people. Help out your retarded buddy, willya?
Sonic Youth, Superstar (Carpenters' cover)
Bloc Party, so here we are


This band is way out of the blue. From Eugene, Oregon they're on the label that one of the cooks at my work runs. I can't stand reggae or dub, generally, but these guys just strike me the right way with their lyrics-- everyday stuff but well-said, and their other songs are the same-- and even the ooo-aaa-oohs that i'd normally hate are a plus for me in this song.
Medium Troy, Eloheim


This next one I'm wary about writing about, because I could have sworn I've written about it but I can't find proof that I have. BUT: I usually don't like extreme voices, but I do like this one; go figure. For some reason I can't help thinking of Jane's Addiction when I hear this song, but that's not an entirely bad thing.
Hot Springs, 38th Adventure


These next two aren't exactly novelties, but they're also not the kind of songs that you'd throw on a mix for no reason. The first is a pretty French girl who hates 'that bitch one girl' (from what I can tell she's saying) and the other is Arab Strap's incredibly Scottish frontman reading short erotic poetry over some easy music.
SoKo, I'll Kill Her
Aidan John Moffatt, Good Morning


This last song is one that makes me wish I had more indie-blogger jargon to throw at you. I'm sure this song is post- at least five things... but I really don't give a shit. It's shoegaze meets noise rock, to me, and I hope you enjoy it.
The Raveonettes, Aly, Walk with Me

No comments:

 
Join my blog network
on Facebook