Monday, December 31, 2007

Older Music Posts from 2007

MUSIC POST #1 (July '07)

Operator Please-- "Just a Song about Ping-Pong"
Apparently there's a lot of happy dance-pop coming out of Australia at the moment.
I don't think anyone in this band is legal to drink in the USA.
This song doesn't need any analysis, it's just fun.

Fionn Regan-- "Put a Penny in the Slot"
Modern Irish music? Just one more on the list of singer-songwriters worldwide. I love the beginning verse of the song, and the chorus is good, and I like his voice. After a while, though, I get pretty tired of the face that he doesnt make the melody progress at all, and skip the rest of the song.

Vampire Weekend-- "Walcott"
I have no idea why I like the song so much. It's just easy to listen to.
I really like his voice; it's the classic male pop voice, but the music keeps it away from done or tiresome.
plus the variety of instrumentation makes it some good stuff.

Hallelelujah the Hills-- "Wave Backwards to Massachusetts"
Same theme as the last, i suppose... uh... thematically...
Normally I cant fucking stand electronically distorted vocals, and i was wary through the first 30 seconds of the song. Then it kicks into the swing of the song, and I'm pretty happy with the whole package.

The Phoenix Foundation-- "Sister Risk"
So i've prolly made half of you listen to this by now but...
The alliteration after the first 30 seconds TURNS ME ON and i was taken from there.
Just quiet and easy to listen to.
Also there's a pregnant pause after 'get it on' that just cracks me up.

The Chromatics-- "Night Drive"
"Night Drive" is making the rounds of the internet music blog world these last few days.
Not much to say. Think of a song to play while you drive, alone or with someone else, not talking, not needing to, in the dark, on a winding road. This'll do.



MUSIC POST #2 (Oct 07)

I was thrilled to hear that a few people downloaded, let alone liked, some of the songs I posted at the beginning of the summer.

Well, here're some more! Seven, to be precise, which will hopefully steal a half hour of your life-- mine, forever! Okay, I need sleep.


Emma Pollock-- 'Paper and Glue'
It's only recently that I've started to like female vocalists at all-- lame, I know. I find this song just amazing. I think I skipped it the first few times it came on shuffle because it starts pretty radio-pop, but got lulled into a listen once and now I have it on the shortlist of what's been cycling in my headphones for the last two days.

Morning Bride-- 'Stepping Out in Front of Cars'
This is one of those male-female duet dealies the B&S, Magnetic Fields etc brought to us kids. It starts with an ominous sweetness that might turn sickly, but the step adding the male voice was nice, hitting the first chorus was lovely, and it takes off from there.

José Gonzáles-- 'Heartbeats' (The Knife cover)
On the same theme of breaking down old tastes, I usually find the solo-male-singer-songwriter damn repulsive. José Gonzáles (Swedish, believe it!) NAILS this cover of The Knife's 'Heartbeats.'

The Ting Tings-- 'Great DJ'
Nothing cerebral about this one; it's just for dancing. Or car-nodding, for the wierdos like me. Turn it up, smile and exult smugly in your youth.

Office-- 'Q&A'
I couldn't decide which of two Office songs to put up, but they're two peas in a pod. If you like this, look up 'Oh my.' Driving music for sure, or put it on your iPod and make grinning eye contact with strangers and realize an hour later it doesn't count as flirting.
Rogue Wave--- 'Harmonium'
I LOVE this song recently. It's pretty long (6+) and it takes until 2:17 to hit the rhythm that I like a lot (then abandons it for awhile anyhow.) I think it's what I want Interpol to be-- out there, but just a cinch more personal and melodic.

The Real Tuesday Weld-- 'The Decline and Fall of the Clerkenwell Kid'
HOLY CRAP, I love The Real Tuesday Weld. Find some of his other stuff now, if you can-- I suggest searching http://elbo.ws or just emailing me. If the Decemberists are the band for the Bastian Balthazar Buxes of the world, reading dusty books in an attic, The Real Tuesday Weld is the band for the kid up there with a gramophone.

No comments:

 
Join my blog network
on Facebook