Saturday, January 5, 2008

That is done too, sir, only "cover" is the word.

-Launcelot, in The Merchant of Venice.


I love covers. There's something about the juxtaposition of the familiar with the unexpected; like a good live version, too.

Here're some of my favorite discoveries (har, har, I know) from the past year.

Hot Club de Paris does Paul Simon. Would this song be as good without the accent? Don't know; don't care.
Hot Club de Paris, You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon)

This song has always been so powerful for me because of the scene in Reservoir Dogs. The Eagles of Death Metal rock. Two rights make a fuck yes.
Eagles of Death Metal, Stuck in the Middle with You (Stealer's Wheel)

I know fuckall about Ben Kweller, except that he did this cover, and I likes it.
Ben Kweller, Today(Smashing Pumpkins)

Romeo and Juliet is the song The Killers have been trying to write for two albums.
The Killers, Romeo and Juliet(Dire Straits)

I never really liked this song, it's a little overplayed and I went through a long period of denying I went through an angsty phase-- maybe it was just delayed. This cover, however, is just plain great.
Bodies of Water, Everybody Hurts(REM)

No comments:

 
Join my blog network
on Facebook